Jeremy Vine has revealed his wife was served with a writ by anti-vaxxers on his behalf over the BBC's support of the Covid vaccine this morning - and says a large group of protesters were waiting to 'take the street' if she hadn't accepted it.     

The BBC Radio 2 presenter, 56, told his 771,000 followers that a group identifying themselves as the 'resistance' had arrived at the family home he shares with his wife and two daughters in London on Sunday morning to issue the 'notice of liability'.   

The star wasn't at the property and his wife, journalist Rachel Schofield, was presented with the document instead. 

A second video, filmed before the doorstepping, shows a larger group calling itself the 'resistence' gathered nearby, as a voice behind the camera says they'll 'take the whole street' by putting up yellow protest boards if the broadcaster doesn't answer the door. 

Tweeting about the unexpected intrusion, Vine said: 'I'm not at home at the moment, so these guys just served an "anti-vax writ" on my wife instead.' 

He continued: 'They are angry at the BBC’s #CovidVaccine reporting. They were polite, for which I'm grateful, but coming to my home on a Sunday? And I'm a little unnerved by the heavy breathing too.'

He later followed up with another tweet, showing footage of the protest group waiting nearby with yellow boards, saying: 'If my wife hadn't accepted the “anti-vaxx writ” on my behalf, this group waiting near my house would then have “taken the whole street.” 

'The original video shows street name and house number really clearly. Always happy to engage but not like this.' 

In the first piece of footage, a smartly dressed man is seen explaining to camera that the mission to issue the writ went well. 

He looks at the camera and says in heavily-accented English: 'That went better than expected so we don't need to make a huge point.'

A voice is heard behind the camera saying: 'Fantastic, job done, guys, job done.' 

He adds that the group 'don't need to bring out the yellow boards' but 'it's always good to make a statement' and says he'll keep viewers posted on 'how this unfolds'.

Earlier footage hears the same man explaining why they've visited the presenter's home. 

He says: 'We've got quite a few people down here, one or two of us in the resistance have turned up.' 

'If he [Vine] doesn't open the door, we're going to bring all the boards down and we're going to take the whole street with the yellow boards and we're going to wait for the police to arrive. We're going to get the police to assist us to deliver the notice of liability.' 

Last week, the broadcaster began a High Court defamation case against an ex-local radio presenter who he says harassed him on YouTube and Twitter.

is suing 41-year-old Alex Belfield, saying he defamed and harassed him on the social media platforms between May and August 2020.

Mr Belfield, who operates a YouTube channel, is disputing claims made against him

A judge oversaw a preliminary hearing at the High Court in London on Tuesday.

Mr Justice Nicklin considered legal issues and made no rulings on any issues.  

Mr Vine attended the hearing and was seen leaving the Royal Courts of Justice shortly afterwards.

The judge heard that Mr Belfield was a former local radio presenter who operated a YouTube channel called Alex Belfield – The Voice Of Reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment