We suspect it is best to point out that the poll cited in the title above sets out only two-thirds of southern Republicans, not two-thirds of southerners generally. Of course, last time two-thirds of southern conservatives wanted to secede, at least one-third of the southern population were not considered citizens at all. Thankfully, now we count all of us. And, given that there actually are an increasing number of white Democrats that vote right alongside most of the south’s vibrant rainbow of colors, we are not talking about a majority of people wanting to secede.

But that’s a lot of people. A new YouGov poll does state that two-thirds of southern Republicans want to secede.

Now, we ought to get a few things straight. First of all, the moment someone tells them that secession means that the SEC and ACC don’t get to compete for a “national championship” in football, 75% of southern Republicans will drop the idea right there. The other 25% would likely drop the idea the moment someone opened the books and showed them what their budgets would look like were it not for the Pacific Coast and Northeast.

Lest anyone thinks this is written with any condescension, just know, the person working on this story can stand up and drive five minutes southwest and splash into the Gulf of Mexico. No, it’s not written in condescension. Some of us live in the belly of the beast, though keeping Canadian citizenship updated is nice.

Because this is rather scary. There has always been a cultural divide in America and since we’re supposed to be the people who want to really speak honestly, let’s start speaking honestly and state that the conversation in the United States has always been about race, first. It just “is,” and that’s not confined to the south, by any means.

Second, this isn’t just a southern thing. People around the country think that it could actually work better if things were divided up. As cited by our friends at The Hill Reporter:

“Yet rather than support for secession diminishing over the past six months, as we expected, it rose in every region and among nearly every partisan group. The jump is most dramatic where support was already highest (and has the greatest historical precedent) — among Republicans in the South, where secession support leaped from 50% in January/February to 66% in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment