A witness in the Brereton Inquiry into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan has had her house targeted in an early morning incident that blew in windows and embedded glass in floors, ceilings and walls.

The Defence Force immediately relocated the witness and her family after the incident because of fears for their safety.

The witness — Captain Louise* — is a former special operations intelligence officer who deployed to Afghanistan in 2012-2013. 

Captain Louise said that in November last year, she and her family were woken at 3:15am by several large blasts or crashes.New South Wales Police failed to find any suspects, and in responding to a complaint by the witness acknowledged that the investigating officer had "dropped the ball".

"I don't know how to describe that noise. It was shatteringly loud. And there was almost like three immediately following one another," she said.

Three windows at the front of the house were shattered, each containing two panes of glass.

"We had wooden floors. It had gouged the wooden floors underneath, it was embedded in the ceiling, over two-and-a-half metres [away].

"It was embedded in the ceiling and embedded all in the wall opposite. It was embedded in a wall immediately adjacent to the window as well. And in some spots, the glass was powder.

"Whatever they did required an awful lot of force."

Captain told about alleged killing of farmers

During her deployment to Afghanistan in 2012-2013, Captain Louise was told by an SAS operator about a mass killing just hours after his patrol had returned to base.

The SAS operator, known as Soldier C, is the former husband of Captain Louise.

Soldier C is under investigation by the Australian Federal Police after Four Corners last year broadcast footage of him killing an unarmed and frightened Afghan in a wheat field in May 2012.

Captain Louise said that in December that year, on the SAS base at Tarin Kowt, Soldier C spoke to her about how his patrol had opened fire on a group of farmers in a field during an operation in northern Kandahar just after he had returned from the raid.

"He told me from his perspective what happened, which was that the patrol commander had accidentally shot one of these group of farmers. And then they made the decision that they couldn't leave anyone behind to tell [what happened]," she said.

"So they decided to kill all of them. And he described the fact that there was a very young person, about 13 or 14, there. He described shooting someone as they hid within the tractor wheel, cowering, and I can't remember if that was the 14-year-old."

Australian and Afghan sources have told ABC Investigations that at least 10 civilians were killed in the SAS operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment